Virtual launch of the 2021 Gender Benchmark
Join us on 29 June 2021 – the eve of the UN Women’s Generation Equality Forum – as we unveil our first ever Gender Benchmark. Find out which of the 35 most influential apparel companies are driving progress on gender equality and women’s empowerment (Sustainable Development Goal 5) across their entire value chains – and which are lagging behind.
The COVID-19 pandemic has disproportionately impacted women and girls, resulting in deepened inequalities. This impact has been felt acutely in the apparel sector, which employs approximately 60–75 million people – two-thirds of whom are women. And yet creating a more sustainable world that leaves no one behind is not possible without women, who make up half of the population. One year into the Decade of Action, gender equality and women’s empowerment are critical for achieving the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The launch event
To hold the apparel sector accountable to the key role they play in order for us to achieve the SDGs, the World Benchmarking Alliance has ranked and scored the world’s most influential apparel companies on their actions to drive gender equality and empower women. Shamistha Selvaratnam, our Gender Lead, will present the benchmark results. Shamistha will be followed by a multi-stakeholder panel, moderated by Sarah Kent, Senior Correspondent at The Business of Fashion, featuring the voices of business, investors, women workers, and policymakers.
- Christopher Kip, Global Child Rights & Business Specialist, UNICEF
- Ankita Nanda, Partnership & Design Associate, Good Business Lab
- Julie Sutton, Senior Director of Government Affairs and Global Impact, VF Corporation
- Marte Borhaug, Global Head of Sustainable Outcomes and Co-Chair of 30% Club Investor Group, Aviva Investors
- Pauliina Murphy, Engagement Director, World Benchmarking Alliance
29 June 2021 at 9:30–10:45 EDT/15:30–16:45 CEST/19:00–20:15 ISTRegister via Zoom