Are you passionate about influencing public policy to enforce business to become more sustainable? Do you enjoy a deep dive into policy issues as well as productive work to support others? Then the World Benchmarking Alliance (WBA) is looking for you, as we recruit for a:
Public Policy Manager
With expertise in public policy, advocacy and sustainability
The private sector has a crucial role to play in advancing the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), but to boost companies’ motivation, there needs to be real change in the way that their impact is measured. That’s why the WBA develops benchmarks that will compare companies’ performance on the SDGs. We strengthen, support and complement our benchmarks through active engagement with civil society, financial institutions, business networks and policy institutions. As a core part of its engagement strategy, the WBA has built a global policy team, to support a future policy and regulatory environment that enables business make progress on the SDGs. The Public Policy Manager is part of a dynamic team, supporting our Global, EU and Asia Policy Leads. In this role you are responsible for monitoring and reviewing global policy and project developments in specific fields of interest to WBA. Next to that you support the Policy Leads in analysing and interpreting the impact of these issues through events and workshops as well as support engagement with the broader WBA Alliance.
What you do:
- Track relevant Global, Asia and EU public policies by collaborating with governments and organisations at the global (e.g. UN, G20, G7), regional and local (e.g. African Union, ASEAN) level;
- Support WBA policy leads to shape the external policy environment in these regions (and some Member States), focusing on issues which advocate long-term sustainable development;
- Anticipate and manage policy issues relevant to sustainable development, reporting, and engagement;
- Produce background notes, presentations or research briefings on items debated with policymakers. Draft documents, reports, and articles/blogs for internal and external use;
- Support the organisation of events, meetings, roundtables and stakeholder dialogues;
- Build relationships with organisations which fit with WBA benchmarks, transformations and mission;
- Provide additional guidance and support to WBA policy leads in order to respond to policy developments in a timely manner.
Our Public Policy Manager:
- Has 1-4 years working experience in public policy/sustainability, ideally in an international environment;
- Has interest and knowledge in global affairs, public policy and political engagement and advocacy;
- Is knowledgeable about the SDGs and the work of the international institutions, e.g. UN, EU, ASEAN, G20/G7;
- Can rapidly assimilate new information with a track record of forward thinking and solution building;
- Is flexible and effective working in a quickly evolving and remote environment, a self-starter that has a positive attitude, team spirit and can plan and set priorities;
- Has excellent analytical, English writing and clear communication skills.
A dynamic role with room to grow in a driven team focused on impact, ambition and teamwork. We stimulate personal growth, believe in flexible working arrangements and you will receive market-based employment benefits. We have a physical presence in Amsterdam and London, alongside many employees who work across the world. You can be based anywhere for this role as inclusivity is one of our values.
Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org addressed to Ciska de Hilster (Lead People) with a brief cover letter explaining why you want to join the WBA and how you meet the ‘our policy coordinator:’ bullets. We are happy for you to apply as soon as possible but at the latest on 9 November and first virtual online interviews will be held on 17 & 19 November. For more information about us and our benchmarks, see our website or follow @SDGBenchmarks.