Are you passionate about the role of the private sector in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)? Are you a strong analytical thinker who is comfortable collecting data, interpreting corporate disclosures and writing clear conclusions? The World Benchmarking Alliance (WBA) is now recruiting:
Sustainability Research Analysts
WBA is building a movement to measure and incentivise business impact towards a sustainable future that works for everyone. The private sector has a crucial role to play in advancing the SDGs, but to boost companies’ motivation, there needs to be real change in the way that their impact is measured. That’s why we are assessing the progress of thousands of companies through publicly available and free rankings of corporate performance. Our benchmarks are used by investors, civil society, governments and companies to accelerate a race to the top. We are now recruiting additional Research Analysts to join our values-driven and global teams. In this role you are responsible for collecting and analysing large volumes of company data, evaluating performance against scoring guidelines and engaging companies in the benchmark process. You should have a strong attention to detail and thrive in an agile and purpose-driven work environment that promotes minimum oversight and maximum responsibility.
What you will do:
- Interpret and retrieve relevant corporate information from publicly available sources (e.g. CSR/sustainability reports; corporate policies etc.) and analyse the findings to produce scores of company performance;
- Engage with stakeholders, including companies, as part of the benchmark process (e.g. company calls to explain scoring decisions);
- Translate data and research into clear, understandable insights on companies and industries through written scorecards that will be published and used by investors, policy-makers, companies and WBA Allies;
- Input into our annual cycle of reviewing methodologies, indicators and scoring guidelines;
- Support our wider engagement to ensure different stakeholders are aware of our benchmarks, participating in external events and learnings about the impact of business on the SDGs;
- Contribute to organisational development and sharing learnings to build our research capacity and processes.
What we are looking for:
- 1-5 years of relevant experience in research-related roles that involve handling and analysing company data, as well as interpreting the economic/social/environmental impacts of companies based on that data;
- Proven knowledge and interest in sustainability/ESG/CSR issues, we are particularly interested in candidates with experience of digital industries; human & labour rights; gender; or food/agriculture/seeds industries;
- Strong academic qualifications and qualitative/quantitative analytical skills – the ability to evaluate data and explain your conclusions. Experience with Office, survey tools, databases and statistics are an advantage;
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills, able to write clear and concise reports. Additional language skills (particularly Mandarin, Japanese, Spanish, French, Arabic or Russian) are an advantage;
- Passion for making a difference with a ‘can do’ mentality and professional attitude;
- Ability to work across different virtual teams, comfortable in an environment that promotes flexibility whilst able to meet tight deadlines.
A challenging role with room to grow in a driven team focused on impact, ambition and teamwork. We stimulate personal growth, believe in flexible working arrangements and you will receive market-based employment benefits. We have a physical presence in Amsterdam and London, alongside many employees who work across the world. You can be based anywhere for this role as inclusivity is one of our values. We particularly welcome applicants in the global South.
Send your resume to email@example.com addressed to Ciska de Hilster (Lead People) with a brief cover email explaining why you want to join the WBA and how you meet ‘What we are looking for’. Interviews are being conducted on a rolling basis however you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. For more information about us and our benchmarks, see our website or follow @SDGBenchmarks.