Are you passionate about the role of the private sector in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Agreement? Are you a strategic thinker with excellent influencing and leadership skills? Do you have significant experience working with financial institutions on integrating sustainability and ESG factors into decision-making processes?
The World Benchmarking Alliance (WBA) is now recruiting a:
Financial System Transformation Lead
WBA is building a movement to measure and incentivise business impact towards a sustainable future that works for everyone. The private sector has a crucial role to play in advancing the SDGs, but to boost companies’ motivation, there needs to be real change in the way that their impact is measured. That’s why we are assessing the progress of thousands of companies through publicly available and free rankings of corporate performance. Our benchmarks are used by investors, civil society, governments and companies to accelerate a race to the top.
The Financial System Transformation Lead will drive forward the strategy and vision for the WBA’s Financial System benchmark. You will be responsible for the overall conceptualisation, execution, and follow-through of the strategy, working with research and communications colleagues to deliver a benchmark that holistically assesses the sustainability performance of the world’s 400 most influential financial institutions, including asset managers, banks, insurance companies, pension funds, and sovereign wealth funds. Part of the WBA Engagement function, you will lead engagement efforts on financial system transformation with a broad range of stakeholders within the financial system, including financial institutions themselves, as well as relevant standards setters, industry associations, civil society organisations, and policymakers. You will also play a leadership role internally, aligning approaches with institutional priorities, and contribute to organisational strategy development.
What you will do:
- Own the overall strategy development and execution of the Financial System Benchmark, working with research, communications, and engagement colleagues to deliver on key research and stakeholder engagement priorities;
- Build and strengthen relationships with financial institutions in scope for the benchmark, including advising on benchmark methodology, data collection and verification, and measurement and assessment;
- Lead external engagement with other stakeholders, including those within WBA’s Alliance and the wider Financial eco-system, to advise on potential areas for collaboration with the benchmark;
- Drive prioritisation of issue areas and engagement with key stakeholders to facilitate the launch of a Financial System Collective Impact Coalition (CIC);
- Effectively motivate and oversee a team of research, engagement, policy, and communications colleagues, working to align priorities and drive forward key deliverables;
- Lead on potential funding opportunities and donor commitments in collaboration with the funding team;
- Engage proactively internally across benchmark and transformation teams, advising on best practice, contributing to WBA wide learning and ensuring continual process improvement.
What we are looking for:
- 12-15 years experience working within the financial services industry. Experience working in (US-based) financial institutions, such an asset manager, bank, or insurance company would be an advantage;
- Strong strategic and project management skills with proven expertise and networks in sustainability, ESG, and sustainable finance;
- Broad understanding of key public policy issues (both global and regional) that may be relevant for financial institutions (i.e. EU Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation, proposed SEC climate disclosure mandate, etc.), as well as potential impact on financial institutions in scope for the benchmark;
- Ability to multi-task and perform under pressure, often with competing deadlines;
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills, including ability to distil and translate complex data into relevant insights for a broad range of stakeholders and across various public arenas;
- Ability to work across different virtual teams and global cultures, comfortable in an evolving ‘Teal’ working environment that promotes flexibility, self-management and wholeness.
A dynamic role with room to grow in a driven team focused on impact, ambition and teamwork. We stimulate personal growth and believe in flexible working arrangements. We have a physical presence in Amsterdam and London, alongside many employees who work across the world. You can be based anywhere for this role as inclusivity is one of our values, though the preference would be for you to be based in one of the main capital markets such as London or New York. You will receive market-based employment benefits (the equivalent of the annual compensation range €110,000 – €125,000 for an employee based in the Netherlands).
Send your resume to email@example.com addressed to Ciska de Hilster (Lead People) with a brief cover letter explaining why you want to join the WBA and how you meet ‘What we are looking for’. We are happy for you to apply as soon as possible but at the latest by 9 January and virtual online interviews will be held from w/c 17 January. For more information about us and our benchmarks, see our website or follow @SDGBenchmarks.